Follow Dashboard
Tokens?

Birthday, Steaks and Growing Up!
Sunday 13 October 2013 | 09:13 | 0 comments
Hey.

I know it's October now and I didn't post anything on September, but it's okay.

Today my sister turned 19!! Yeay!

For the past few days, we'd walk, work or just sit and I'd suddenly say, "Look who's turning 19 tomorrow?" It was ridiculous and my sister was like, what are you doing? I was the one excited for her birthday. There was a party, actually. We planned it. But everyone was busy and they didn't come. So me, my mom and my dad celebrated for her. We just came back from dinner, actually. We went to this nice place called Teras Cafe. It's the one restaurant where you'd be willing to spend money on for a good piece of barbequed steak. They serve the best steak in Batam. Thumbs up for Teras Cafe! 

We used to have steak for dinner every Sunday, at La Cruise. But they'd come out as medium-rare or rare, which my dad doesn't like. There was a time the waiter bought back my dad's steak back to the kitchen up to 3 times. Dad asked for well done. They came out medium rare. Brought it back to the kitchen. Back to the table, still medium rare. It goes back and forth 2-3 times until the waiter said dad will get a new steak, well done. 

My family, we are all carnivores. We eat more meat compared to vegetables. None of us are vegetarian. 3 of us don't enjoy vegetarian. My sister does. I have no idea why. There was this time, my class went for a steamboat and bbq lunch at a buffet restaurant. Two of us were vegetarian. So they bought vegetarian meal and ate together there. I tried their sotong, it was good. But not something that can be served as squid fritters. No. 

So for the past two years, my family would go to Singapore to wish my sister a happy birthday (My sister was in Singapore for almost two years, or probably more) The first year in Singapore, it was her 17th birthday. We didn't hold any party or what. It was just nice, a daughter of my mom's friend is getting married in Singapore. So my dad went as well. Mom bought a small cake and we just sat in a cafe and blew the candles. That's her sweet seventeenth. 

Last year, my sister joined a musical drama called Cupid's Love. It is about Cupid, the greek god, who went to the earth and fell in love with a mortal, my sister was a nymph. The blue nymph, along with orange and green nymph was kind of Zeus' assistant. She was dancing on the centre of the stage for a few minutes on the opening. The musical drama fell right on my sister's birthday, 13th October 2012. Sweet. She had 2 birthday cakes, a big headed mickey, 2 bouquets of roses, a framed pic collage made by her group mates. 


That's her group mates.

The nymphs!

And that's Zeus. Zeus was kind of narcissistic in the drama.

Opening of the drama, centre stage!

So the plan for this year's party is to bring a few of my sister's friends over and treat them to a nice seafood lunch. Go for a photo shoot in the studio, maybe a 2 hour karaoke. I'm guessing it's postponed. I don't know whether she's still going to celebrate it or not. With or without her friends coming, I bought her a present. Me and mom bought her one. She likes it a lot. I'm glad she does hahaha. It was kind of the one I wanted, but for her. So, it's a win-win solution I thought.


Growing up with my sis is quite tough, I thought. She's 3 years older than me. 2 and a half to be exact. By the time she got into middle school, I was still in the lower one. She started growing her nails real long and one day we'd fight and she'd scratch me with her long nail and make me bleed. The heck, dude? We fight a lot, but shortly after, we played as if nothing happened. My sister was the fussy one at home, which made me the good sister at home. I'm the youngest and there's only two of us. My sister would not eat the same food for 2 days straight, but I would for a whole week. No complaints. My mom can just put me to bed and I would sleep on my own. My sister needs to be taken out for a car ride around the neighborhood and after she'd sleep. See? My mom had to take care of my sis, and I'm always held by the maid. I think that's why my sis is closer to my mom? I'm not saying I'm not close to my mom. After growing up, child level, haha, my sister is still the fussy and the naughty one, but she's the smart one as well. She's so smart, at the age of 4, she can read, write, recognize numbers and colors altogether, know how to dance and sing, synchronized. And I can't :/ Soon, she got into 5th grade, and I was still in 2nd grade. We didnt play much anymore. She feels so mature back then she didnt want to play with me as I was still a kid. That was what I was referred to. A kid. So I'd spend more time on my computer and internet. And yes, I've had internet since I was in kindergarten. Lucky me! 

We both grow up as two little princesses. Not literally, but treated like one. We had all the best books. Dad would go to Singapore and bring books with hard covers, which are heavy, back to Batam and have us read it. Take us to see Disney On Ice every year. How cool is that? I bet you never saw it! :P We'd go to Jakarta and Malaysia. I got my first skating shoes when I was 6, learned how to ice skate when I was 6. We were pretty much supplied with the good stuff. We had an awesome childhood. I'd download games from the internet and share it together. Back then I only know how to download the games with the 60 minutes trial. That's good enough for a 7-year-old okay? So yeah, I've played Diner Dash since I was 7 or 8. Played Sims 2 when I was 10. How awesome is that? My sister wasn't the gamer type. When I was 11, busy playing games, she was 14, which means she's in 3rd year of junior high, she would be busy preparing herself for national exam or practicing piano. My mom never really set a rule on me playing games or online. There was a period of time where I would be on the internet in my dad's office the whole day, with food, without bath. :P That's pretty much my life.

Then I got to junior high and my sis gets into high school. She gets smarter from time to time, I stayed the same. Very steady. She'd get straight As and I'm just nice on pass or sometimes failing. Teachers start complaining about how different we are and why I can't be more like her, and why a smart girl can have sister like me. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. It hurts. Every word they said hurts. All I heard was, "Why can't you be like your sister?" Then it started to change. I got top 5 ranks in class for 2 years, then dropped to F. F all the way. I don't know how I passed first year of high school. All I see was FFFFFFFFFFFFF. I got an A on a few subjects. But, so what? First year of high school is the year where you have to put your future on the line. You want to be a doctor or architect, get science class. Go to the social class and you will never be a doctor or architect. Back then I wanted to be an interior designer, but dad, mom and cc was in science class during high school, which gave me a lot of pressure. If I get into social class, everyone will start judging. You see, it's not that I don't get the lesson. When the teacher explains, I understand everything they said. How this formula works on this problem and how to solve it and what's the answer to the next one. I get it all. But on tests, I just cant write it down. I'd just forget about the formula and everything. Got my mind empty. Got fed up. Sleep during the test. :/ :/ :/ That was an experience. When I got into high school, my sis was in Singapore. So I went to a learning centre for tuition. From 6 until 9. With my friends, which made me not study cause I was spending more time talking instead of studying. Every few months my sister will come home and tutor me on Chemistry. I understand everything again. Exam? Forget it. Oh, and by the way, I got into science class. Didn't finish it. Cause that's when home schooling came.

Okay, so this is the point where I would tell about me and my sister when she went to Singapore for her studies.

My sister graduated from high school when she was 16 years and 8 months. It was on June. On September/August, she went to Singapore. It wasnt a proper study, just there studying in a christian college. Until December, she stopped and came back. March, she got into SIM and was there for 15 months. While she was away, at first I was fine with it. You know. The wardrobe is almost empty because most of her clotes are in Singapore. I have the whole room for myself. I can stack my clothes on her bed and not on the wardrobe. I was just too lazy. And can play the music as loud as I want, without anyone complaining. But then the problem came. I cant really sit for more than an hour without fighting with my mom. And I cant really approach my mom cause most of the time she doesnt agree with me. We're just two different things. We don't connect that much. Not as much as my mom and my sister did. They can sit down for hours and watch korean/singapore drama. I don't enjoy dramas. I prefer reality show. And I'm the one who takes pictures of people. I dont get a lot of picture and I dont want to be in a picture. Mom would take pictures of me all the time. Those are just the little things though. I don't know why I made a fuss about it. The connection with my sister grew better after she moved to Singapore. I don't know why. Every time I go to Singapore, she would take me to nice lunch and pay it. Woohoo! Now that's the kind of sister you would want! And every time my mom is going to Singapore. I'd chat my sister a few days before and tell her I want this, I want that, you can find it here, or here, if you can't find it, you can buy this one instead. And she got it all. I get the Teenage Magazine, nerds candy, 8days, and some other snacks that Indonesia dont have. 

My sister was never really stingy. She'd get me what I want, most of the time. Every Sunday after church, I'd say I want to eat this. She would pay. I'm not doing that so she would pay, but she always pays anyway. Nyehehe. I paid also lah of course, sometimes. Then like last month, she got a shopping coupon that serves as cash worth $80. She spent $30 on me. She got me a whole set of Sarasa Pen, an authentic Rilakkuma hand fan, and a 1999 McDonald's merchandise. I don't know who's that despicable to sell a free stuff from McDonald's, even though it's ancient. 

That's the perks of being the youngest child! You'll be spoiled. I was spoiled. There was once, I saw this toy in Hypermart. It was a toy coffee maker, mixer and blender. It moves like the real thing. The coffee maker, it can transport water from the coffee maker to the coffee pot. The blender blends. The mixer mixes. And dad got a ceramic cooking set to complement the 3 toys. Heaven~~~ 

I can be like 100% honest to my sister and not to my mom. I can tell my sister almost everything, but in the end, my mom knows almost everything as well. But it feels better to talk to my sis than to my mom. There was once I spent my hard earned $100 on one day. My sister was like saying it's normal to spent that much in one day when you're on a trip and mom would complain about it all night long. I know I was too much, but I got carried away mom. What do you want me to do?

Mom taught so much to me, to us. Saying that one day, at one point of time, we will only have each other in this earth. So we gotta treasure each other, help each other, and always love each other. My mom is scared about us getting into a fight in the future and not talk to each other. She's been telling us this since we were kids, it got stuck in my mind. My mom was right. I feel grateful she taught us that. I mean, what if what she said was all real and one day we both fight and not talk about each other. One of us gets into a trouble and the other one is not willing to help, not even stopping by to see how she's doing. 

Hmm, similarities. I've been thinking about this the whole time. When we go out with mom, some would think that we are twins, some would think that I'm cc's friend cause cc looks like mom and I don't. Those who know were siblings would think that I'm the older one cause I'm bigger than my sis. Younger sis can't be bigger and taller than the older one is it? Who made that rule? Well, okay. We both like to sing. We like to solve 4 Pics 1 Word together. Do movie marathon together. She's more like the supporter. Gives me moral support and somewhat the financial supporter hahahahahahaah. No, kidding. We are like two different things when it comes to doing things. I'm more of the enjoying life kind of human and she's the hard worker. We both procrastinate though. She wants to be a doctor. I'm more on less brain work. Like baker, jewellery designer, and interior designer. Those stuffs are mostly made of inspiration. What? You get inspired when you're on the operating room. You gotta cut the swollen appendix, then it hit you, you are inspired, you want to cut it in a better looking shape so the scar looks cuter and so you cut a heart shape and cut off the swollen appendix? No you don't. When you become a doctor, you're like a computer. You are programmed. You wake up at 6, go to work at 8, all day long, you spend 10 hours on checking on what happened to your patient, coming home tired and have to do it all over again the next day. That's just so boring to me. I'd rather have myself waking up feeling happy thinking of what cake I'm going to bake or what kind of ring am I going to draw today. No heart feelings. Just saying. But you know, being a doctor is a good thing. You don't think that, in order to get the money, people gotta be sick and come to you and pay you. If that's why you want to be a doctor, you're wrong, your mind set is wrong, your purpose is totally wrong. You want money? You do business. Doctor is all about healing and helping people, not money asshole. The money is the reward for doing a good job. That's what my mom said. 

Okay, okay. Last words.

I'm glad that the day arrived, my sister's birthday. I had a great dinner, a nice cake and had a fun time doing this super long post. 

Growing up with my sis is fun, like 70% fun. No, 85%. 


Getting to wear the same dress, picking on what to eat, procrastinating together. We should to this more! Except for the procrastinating. Cheers to a happy life, healthy life, more things to learn in the future, success in the learning centre mom just opened for you, for your plan of getting a degree next year, and so much more things I can't say. Just don't go too far, cause then, it will be hard for us to just go on a simple lunch. To another 19 years of procrastinating! Happy birthday sis. 




Old things | New things