Follow Dashboard
Tokens?

DIY 3D Clay Frame
Thursday 29 May 2014 | 07:54 | 0 comments
Greetings

I think I have already broke my New Year's resolution *yikes*. I promised I would blog more, but I didn't. I mean, I've been really busy with my homeschooling and now that there's a tuition centre, there is less time for me to go online and I don't know why but Google Chrome doesn't work on my laptop, so I had to go to the other laptop to blog and stuff, or borrow my dad's computer. 

Alright. As you all know, I'm a big fan of clay. I'm a clay figurine enthusiast. You can just give me a clay and I promise I won't bother you for a day, probably more. And for 2 years now I've been looking at 3D clay frames. I considered buying it online, but the price is mad expensive. One frame, only 18x13 cm, costs around Rp. 200.000 - Rp. 250.000. There's no way in hell my parents are buying me that...  Recently, I looked at those clay frames again and went like, okay fine I'll make one for myself. And little did I know, the materials I needed was not that expensive.

For the clay frame, I used air dry clay. Now, some online shops have tried to save on money buy making their own air dry clay from flour, white glue and food coloring and what happened was mold started growing on the clay. Not like the green and yellow ones you find on bread, but instead it's white and kind of fluffy mold you will find on fruits if you put them in the fridge for too long. See, I'm making clay frames as a gift, and you have to make sure that the stuff you give to another person stays perfectly fine, forever. To avoid all the molds, I used air dry clay, which I believe is more expensive than flour and white glue. 

I'm not gonna tell how much one frame costs, just in case I'm selling one in the future. I don't want my future customer to find out how much money I make buy selling one frame. But they profited a lot from one frame. 

First, you're going to need a frame, of course. Now, not a regular frame because the clay figures you are going to be making is 3D, not 2D. You're going to need to find a frame that has a space for you to put the clay in (on? idk). I found mine in a stationery supplier. I don't have the picture of it, but later you will know what I'm talking about. 

After finding a frame, next thing you're going to do is sketch and look for inspiration. This is what I sketched. It's just an idea of what I'm going to put in the frame, sooooo....






DONT FREAKING JUDGE

Always remember to make the person first, because it will be used as a basic measurement for other clay figures. You don't want a McDonald's french fry bigger than your head don't you?


That's my friend. That indentation on the right is her dimple. Take her picture and use it to make the clay figurine. Look at the special features, like skin color, hair color, eye color, dimples, freckles, her eyes (korean smiley eyes or not), etc. 

Next, start making other figures. You can put the name of the person, or the title of the event, the date, maybe, things that the person loves/likes, it can be a group of people, it can be just one or two people, etc. Like this..

I made three clay frames with exact same figurines. 


Air dry clay dries around overnight. It depends on where you put it and the temperature of the room. I dried it in my dad's office and the air-con in there is on through out the night, so next morning it's already dry. After drying, start assembling the clays on the frame. DON'T STICK IT ON DIRECTLY. You don't know if the whole stuff is going to fit in or not. I would suggest putting around 5-8 figurines on the sides. Another thing you want to make sure is the details of the figurines, is it going to be textured, is the dress flary or just plain like a pencil skirt, etc. 

 As you can see, I textured the handbag. I used toothbrush. 

Added smileys that looks sad -_- *duh*


 If you're satisfied with how it looks, use white glue or Modge Podge to stick everything. Just put a thin layer, not too thin, but enough for it to stick. 




I added an extra chibi of me :3 Excuse my bad handwriting :( 


End product of both 3D clay frames


Kay a pic of me working. That's my dad. My friend took this picture for me hahaha.. Notice the messy table *ugh*







Labels:



Old things | New things