Follow Dashboard
Tokens?

Buzzfeed 3rd Grade and 5th Grade Math Test (Part 1)
Saturday 9 May 2015 | 10:33 | 0 comments
Sup

It's Saturday. It's 11.51 P.M. I just dedicated my whole Saturday watching BuzzFeed on Youtube and napping. Yep. 

So I came across these 2 videos where BuzzFeed take a few of their workers and ask them some basic maths questions. So, when I say basic I actually meant basic primary school maths that are supposed to be very easy for adults. 

So it's a 2 separate videos, one is Adults Take A 3rd Grade Math Test and the other is Adults Try 5th Grade Math. If you're too lazy to open the video, I'll tell you what's in the video. 

In the Adults Take A 3rd Grade Math Test, BuzzFeed gave these people a set of 60 problems to solve. And if you don't know what a 3rd grade math looks like, it's basically multiplication. A one-digit times one-digit multiplication, and a two-digits times one-digit multiplication. I have to say, I am very surprised of the results. Out of 9 people who took the test, guess how many failed? 5 of them got an F. Over half of them failed. That is an outrageos result. How can you fail a 3rd grade math? Still have no idea what a 3rd grade math looks like? I'll type out a few for you.
0 x 9 =
6 x 8 =
6 x 1 =
3 x 11 =
4 x 4 = 
12 x 5 =
etc. 

So now you lazy people who didn't watch the video, you know how easy 3rd grade math is. 

Second video, Adults Try 5th Grade Math, BuzzFeed gave a more complicated problem, obviously. I'll type down the equation from the video.
1/3 + 7/10 = 
6 1/2 + 4 4/5 =
66.51 x 98.65 =
43321.4 x 82 = 

The first two equations, I did it mentally. As I get to the third equation, I had to run across the room to find a paper and a pen. Still, I got both answers correct. About half of the guys in the video didn't, though. One actually said that he should be given a million dollar if he can finish the 4th equation all by himself. You're shitting me. 


No personal offense. I'm a big fan of BuzzFeed. I told you, I dedicated my entire Saturday watching BuzzFeed. 

How are you supposed to forget all that basic math? I know it's kind of unfair for me to say this because, well, I just finished high school. But you're not supposed to forget things you pick up from school. Take my mom as an example. She's 47 this year, so she has finished university for around 23 years, or so (she took civil engineering btw). She can explain momentum to me in just a few minutes and I would understand it fully (that is something my high school teacher failed to do). My point is, my mom is older than the people in the video and has finished university way longer than the people in the video (the people in the video, they're about 25-35) and she can still tell me the basic explanation of momentum, how it works, and how you count it. We were waiting for the train when she told me about the whole momentum thing. 

So how can you not be able to finish a basic 3rd grade math and a somewhat-more-difficult 5th grade math? Well, on the other side, I might have the upper hand because I know mental arithmetics...

So I will give this a test and do a somewhat research. I will actually go around and ask my relatives and friends do this 3rd and 5th grade math questions and see how the results goes. 

Yeap. 


Old things | New things